
As a fan of Jim White, I'd been looking forward to watching Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus since I heard about it, without knowing too much about what the story was. I finally watched it this week.
This excellent documentary looks at life in the Deep South, focusing on religion and the strong ties to the Pentecostal Church. This is a South I don't know, though I've lived in various parts at different times in my life. The documentary devastatingly portrays the desperation of these people.
It also has a lot of music, filmed in gorgeous and unexpected locales. Jim White is the best of the bunch, but a haunting saw solo of "Amazing Grace" by Melissa Swingle will be the sound that resonates for me when I think of this film. She makes the saw sound like a wailing woman. You can hear the song on the Searching site.
Here's the trailer for the film.
No comments:
Post a Comment