Mood: Mellow
"Christmas Time is Here," Vince Guaraldi: It doesn't have to be the holidays to let Guaraldi's beautiful notes linger on my ears. The dude just chills me out. I prefer the instrumental version. The kids are cute and all, but their voices really get in the way of the delicate tones that Guaraldi is laying down.
"Strange Fruit," Billie Holiday: Devastating in its sorrow, Holiday delivers her classic performance in this tale of Southern race brutality. I saw a documentary on this song last year. It was written by a white guy in New York, I think, but Holiday would later claim she wrote it.
"There She Goes," James Moody
"In Your Own Sweet Way," Miles Davis
"Once in a While," Chet Baker
"Kathy's Waltz," Dave Brubeck: The first few notes fooled me -- I swore it was Monk. I hadn't noticed the debt Brubeck owes to T. Monk before. Similar staccato, rhythmic playing at times.
"Dinah," Chet Baker
"Softly. with Feeling," Count Basie
Music, technology and wherever the twain shall meet.
No comments:
Post a Comment